Life as a Milshelb Mom is crazy, hectic, and FUN... it's mostly full of LOVE... love for a MilShelb who make my world go 'round.

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Soap Box

You know, every now and again I have to step up on to my soap box and say things that I think are common sense, but obviously (and sadly) are not. I stumbled across a website today. One that made me sad... and happy. It's called "Dogs Deserve Better". You can visit it by clicking here. I have been raised that an animal, a pet, is a part of your family. You are to love and care for that pet to the best of your ability. I realize I may be "preaching to the choir" so to speak, but I have to say it. If you have your pet on a chain in your yard all day- you do not DESERVE that pet. I would no more leave Milly or Shelby on a chain in my yard than I would walk around my neighborhood naked. It's stupid. It's silly. It's mean. It's embarrassing.
It makes me sad... sad and ANGRY that people treat their animals like this. It makes me happy that people are taking the time to do something about it. I always feel so badly for dogs I see outside and alone. A dog is a social creature. It needs a pack. You are it's pack. To Milly and Shelby, Jake and I are their pack members. They understand that they are to love and protect us... and we are to love, protect, and provide for them. It's a basic thing. Granted, sleeping in the bed is not really a necessity... but would I have it any other way? No. I'm not saying that everyone should allow their dogs to sleep in their beds and stay in sleeping on the couch while they're at work... what I'm saying is that people need to do what is BEST for their animals. Get 'em a fence, for crying out loud! Would you want a chain stuck around your neck and only a small place to run? Like you could even run with a chain around your neck! Ha!
The fact of the matter is that dogs deserve better. They give you their all and they deserve your best.
My aim will always be a simple one when it comes to Milly and Shelby... and yet not so easy at the same time. My goal is (as they say) "to be as good of a person as my dog already thinks I am." I'll be honest, I will never be that person... I will give it my all, though. Why? Well, because Milly and Shelby are my heart... and they deserve the best. They deserve better than the best. So do other dogs. All dogs deserve better... but especially those who are chained up, forgotten, and neglected.

To Milly and Shelby- I love you more than life itself. You are the glue that keeps my life together. You are the light in my dark days. I love you. I'll love you until all the stars fall from the sky. I've said it before and I'll say it again and again, I would sell every last thing I own to keep you happy and healthy. I'd beg, steal, or borrow to keep you by my side... and you will never see a day when you are stuck outside, unwanted and unloved. NEVER.

1 comment:

  1. Whole heartedly agree. I HATE to see dogs tied up. Makes me so sad. When we lived in a townhouse without a yard, I was lucky enough to stay at home most of the time, so our dog Jones just stayed in with me. When I went to work, we just taught him to be good, and he roamed the house.

    Definitely do-able!

    ReplyDelete