Life as a Milshelb Mom is crazy, hectic, and FUN... it's mostly full of LOVE... love for a MilShelb who make my world go 'round.

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Standing Outside The Fire

Garth Brooks has a song called, "Standing Outside the Fire" and it speaks to me... right down to my very soul. It says "We call them cool- Those hearts that have no scars to show- The ones that never do let go- And risk it the tables being turned" How true. We think the coolest people are those who have no "baggage", no faults, no past, no problems... The song also says, "We call them fools- Who have to dance within the flame- Who chance the sorrow and the shame- That always come with getting burned" I feel like that's me. Maybe people think I'm a fool... think I'm naive... but I HAVE to, not just stand, but dance in the flame- risk it all for what might bring happiness. The song also says, "But you got to be tough when consumed by desire
'Cause it's not enough just to stand outside the fire" So true. You have got to be strong to chase your dreams... no matter how crazy they may be. Another verse says, "We call them strong- Those who can face this world alone- Who seem to get by on their own- Those who will never take the fall- We call them weak- Who are unable to resist- The slightest chance love might exist- And for that forsake it all- They're so hell bent on giving, walking a wire- Convinced it's not living if you stand outside the fire" Again, so true... love- even the very slightest chance of it- is worth risking it all. When I went to meet Jake in person I didn't really know him. I knew him through friends and aim... nothing more. But, I fell in love with him the same day I met him. I knew the moment I saw him that there was something to this man- something I just had to be a part of. I am so glad I stepped out- into the fire- so to speak.

The Chorus:
Standing outside the fire
Standing outside the fire
Life is not tried it is merely survived
If you're standing outside the fire

There's this love that is burning
Deep in my soul
Constantly yearning to get out of control
Wanting to fly higher and higher
I can't abide standing outside the fire

I am not one to break rules or do things that are crazy or very risky- but I am one to get right in the middle of it all if it means making a difference... especially if it means making a difference for my family, friends, or children.

On to another topic-
I went by Saluda Trail today and saw one of my old students from the last maternity leave I subbed for. He was so sweet. He walked right up to me and gave me a hug and said, "Hey Mrs. Hall!" I know that I am meant to be a teacher. If that particular student can still run up to me with a smile on his face I know that people are right- kids respect people who are fair and people who believe in them- even if it's tough love. I love those kids. There's not a doubt in my mind that I am a better teacher because of them. I will be an awesome teacher one day. I'm not saying that to brag. I'm saying that because I know in my heart that teaching is what God made me for. I am so happy that I have realized that... and that one particular student confirmed it today. God knows when I need a lift- and he provided one today through the smile of a child. :) God is so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment