Life as a Milshelb Mom is crazy, hectic, and FUN... it's mostly full of LOVE... love for a MilShelb who make my world go 'round.

Thursday, August 27, 2009

Just Because I Owe it To Them

I know it's weird... and call me crazy... but I like to look up and read about miniature dachshunds.
I think it is partly because I love dogs and mostly because I am obsessed with the two
minis running around ruling my house. I find Milly and Shelby to be many things... true to their breed,
they are loyal companions that feel the need to warn me at the slightest noise or approaching stranger
(even if the stranger is a bird, spider, or their own father). They are sweet little ladies that fill our days
with smiles, tail wags, and the occasional frustration over doing things that are, in my honest opinion,
not socially acceptable. :)
It is said on some websites that dachshunds are proud and bold. http://www.dogster.com/breeds/Miniature_Dachshund
They are also known for being independent thinkers and believe that they rule the world. http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/reviews/dachshunds.html
Some people describe them as fearless... especially for their tiny size. :)

I still remember taking them to Petsmart one day with my sister, Danielle, and her "dogter" Izzy. Milly (not even full-grown) decided to bark and growl at a HUGE dog. I appologized to the owner (who was hardly able to hold on to his dog) and got Milly aorund the corner and quickly explained to her that we do NOT ever bark at large dogs. I told her that she needs to pick fights with dogs her own size because when that big dog cam charging I was dropping her leash and running the other way!! lol She's a mess and has yet to learn that she is 16 pounds and not even a foot tall. Some call it the Nepolian Complex and she definately has it!
Milly and Shelby surprise me every day by how different their personalities are. They could not be more different if they tried! Milly is our loud, bold, courageous, watch-dog of a dachshund. Shelby, on the other hand, is our "little wiggle". She loves everyone and everything. She does not meet a stranger and she has a constant smile on her face and wag in her tail. Don't get me wrong, she barks out warnings to us as well... but normally only chimes in with Milly. She's so funny. She goes running after Milly barking along as if to suggest that she's "got her back".
We have our good days and our bad days. There are times when they make me want to pull my hair out, jump up and down and scream as loud as I can. There are times when they eat things they shouldn't or use the bathroom in places I don't see until I step in them... but at the end of the day they are my children... my pride and joy. We love them more than we ever knew possible. They are and will continue to be my inspiration to be a good person. As someone very wise once said "I want to be the person my dog already thinks I am." I strive for that every day. I don't always achieve it... but I sure do try.
Oh, MilShelb... I love you. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment