Life as a Milshelb Mom is crazy, hectic, and FUN... it's mostly full of LOVE... love for a MilShelb who make my world go 'round.

Sunday, February 17, 2013

Awesomeness!

I just found this awesome blog (thanks Pinterest!) I am so excited. I have been saying forever that I am going to cut coupons and save money while buying groceries. I hate loathe despise to grocery shop. I mean it. There are only a handful of things I dislike more. I can't stand to go up and down the isles... that are almost always filled with random junk sitting in my way or people who, apparently, have nothing better to do with their time than get in my way. I just hate it.
Enough of the complaining.
I found that blog and I am going to do this! Now, probably not yet to the extreme that she does. I also don't have a family of four to shop for so I should be able to spend less. that being said, she spends $400 a month on groceries for 4 people and I spend more than that for 2. I obviously have a lot of work to do.
I know the problems, though. I don't cut coupons. Really. I don't. If I do (for some crazy reason) have coupons I ALWAYS leave the durn things at home. That does me a ton of good. I also impulse shop. By that I mean that as I walk through the store I see food I "need" and in the buggy it goes. All of it. Anything my little heart desires. Recently (and in the past) I have convinced myself that it's ok because I don't go out to eat nearly as much as I used to- and that's the truth. I used to go out to eat almost every day. Then I (or really Jake) cut it back to a couple times a week. Then I (or really Jake, again) cut it back to maybe once a week, if that. So, I have really changed my ways in terms of eating out. That has saved money. That's good! But, buying every little thing I see does not help. Let me also point out that it's not like I walk through the produce department and grab extra veggies. I scoop up more chips, cookies, moonpies, ice cream... you get the picture. So, not only am I spending too much, but I'm buying a bunch of junk.
I'm writing out all of this to say that I'm making a goal. My goal is to cut my grocery trips to once a month (except for produce, because I just can't eat frozen produce all the time- though I do see how it saves money) and my bill by 1/3 (I'm trying to be realistic) by June. I know that gives me a few months, but according to the blog I read it takes a while to learn and get used to. So, I'm going to take baby steps and get it right.
Now, to plan meals and find some coupons!

No comments:

Post a Comment