Life as a Milshelb Mom is crazy, hectic, and FUN... it's mostly full of LOVE... love for a MilShelb who make my world go 'round.

Friday, June 22, 2012

MilShelb's Room Part 1

Before we made the big secret plan to make this "Milsehlb's Room" it was our guest bedroom. We moved the guest bedroom (which has never been used) to the upstairs bedroom. There's only one bedroom upstairs and it is the room above the garage. We don't use it because Milly and Shelby aren't supposed to climb stairs and because the window AC is the only AC up there and it's broken and, let's face it folks, it's always hot here in good ol' SC.

So, this was the bedroom once it was cleaned out.

This is another view of the bedroom before we made it MilShelb's room.


The room was the same color as the rest of the house before we painted anything. This may look like an ok color, and it is, but when you have lived in rentals for the past 6ish years and stared at oatmeal and white walls you are ready for some color!



We started the process of changing this room by taking out the carpet. This was the second room we took the carpet out of and replaced it with laminate flooring.



Here is a view after the floor was down.


This is another view of the room after the floor was down.


Looks much better!


Then, I got the bright idea to paint this room yellow. I will never paint another room yellow for as long as I live. I mean it. It was a HORRIBLE experience. This room took 4 or 5 (I can't remember now- it may have even been more) coats of paint. It took over 2 gallons to paint this room. The room isn't all that big- it's like 10x12 or something like that. 

I went to Home Depot and picked a paint color. I told the guy which one I wanted. He confirmed the color. Had I paid extra close attention like I should have I would have noticed that he actually wrote the "1 gallon" on the WRONG shade of yellow on the color swatch. UGH! So, I wanted "Yellow Brick Road" and ended up with Pineapple Soda. Now, it's not a bad color- it's MUCH brighter than I had intended, but the big issue with Pineapple Soda is that it is a VERY thin paint color. It has a "t" on the swatch, which to everyone under then sun (except me) means that you need a tinted primer. Now, was that explained to me? No. No, it was not. I bought the Behr paint and primer in one and went on my merry way. The guy asked if I wanted primer and I asked if I needed it and he told me since I got the paint and primer in one I should be fine. 

I was NOT fine.

After I painted 2 coats of paint and it was SUPER SUPER SUPER streaky I called the store. The people in the paint department were NO help. I called my grandmother and told her about the situation. She told me to call the manager. I called back to the store and explained to the manager that I had bought this paint and this was not the first Behr paint I'd bought but it was SUPER runny and normally their paint is VERY thick. She said that it was strange for it to be runny and for me to bring back what I had and they would give me another gallon. That was generous of them, I felt, and I took it back. 

When I got to the store there was someone different working in the paint department and I actually recognized him as someone who actually normally works in the paint department. (Yes, I go there all the time. I know who normally works where.) So, I nicely explained the problem to him and he asked if I'd gotten tinted primer. I said no. He asked why and I explained the whole thing to him. He then explained to me that when you see a "t" on the swatch it means that you need a tinted primer. I told him that he should tell people to educate their customers. LOL! He was really nice about all of it and mixed another gallon of paint. I took it home. 

SAME thing again. UGH! 

I was so frustrated I wanted to scream. I ended up still having to buy another gallon of paint after that one and I HATED the color and the runniness of the paint. So, all in all, lesson learned here is I do NOT have the patience for "tinted primer needed" paint and I will not be using it again.





This is how MilShelb's room turned out after I gave up on painting. It is still not perfect, and I will probably paint it again in a few years because it drives me nuts every day, but they don't seem to mind one bit. LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment